Thursday, October 8, 2009

bubbles, mmmm! (repost)

Monday, April 10, 2006
Bubbles... mmm yummy! Current mood: content Category: Life
Why?
Why does my 19 month old delight in putting wierd things in her mouth? Like bugs, lids from water bottles, "smarties" wrappers, and most recently, bubble foam from when her big sister washed her hands!
Ok, so I'm striving to make my household a safer place by cutting out a lot of stuff that I know is bad for our bodies. Quaternium or polyquaternium as it is sometimes listed, is basically formaldehyde with a prettier name. Formaldehyde is of course what is used in enbalming dead bodies. But it's also used as a preservative in tons of cosmetic products, including hand soap. So at Wal-Mart the other day, I found a hand soap that didn't have it, which is really rare. But it does have triclosan, which is the "antibacterial" agent in most products. Maddie decided to taste it, and luckily it was just the bubble foam after Kenzie washed her hands, and not the soap itself. Either way, there was warning on the label stating to contact poison control if ingested. So, being the cautious mom I am, I called. The nice nurse from Cardinal Glennon in St. Louis who answered the call advised me that she might throw up, but other than that, she'd be ok if I had her drink milk to neutralize the chemicals. As I was talking to the nurse, Maddie coughed, and actually blew a soap bubble! I laughed so hard. I told the nurse, and she was cracking up too. Then she apollogized, but I told her it was ok. She needed a good laugh anyway after taking calls from frantic parents or baby-sitters.
So, long story short, Maddie is ok, but her breath smelled "lemony fresh" from the Softsoap. I'm sure that's not the last mystery object she'll put in her mouth. Honestly, how did all of us who were toddlers before the internet and poison control hotlines survive? I remember "eating" an entire necklace worth of seed beads, because I thought they were candy. Also, because it was my sister's necklace, I wanted to get even for taking my toy.
Kids really are innocent and blameless, they're just exploring their world. Maybe that's why Jesus loved being with them so much, and why we're told to come to Him like little children. If we're as trusting and innocent in thought as little kids are, we'll glean so much from our Saviour's teachings and love. I'm trying to not be so skeptical and just learn to bask in His love. Just like my girls run into my arms when they see me come into the room in the morning as they wake up, I want to be like that with my Heavenly Father. Letting Him wrap His arms around me and hold me like a dad holds his little girl.

No comments: